The thrill of discovery and a curiosity to understand our world drive the science department at The Woodstock Academy. Students who study science develop problem-solving and analytical skills. Additionally, science courses provide a practical application for mathematical principles. Courses are offered for a full range of skill sets and cover varying depths and breadths of the subject.
The introductory course Freshman Science develops a foundation for scientific thinking and research while studying concepts such as energy and resources, chemistry of matter, and climate change. Sophomore students study the living world through the required course Biology 1. A hands-on laboratory experience is stressed in all classes, but especially biology courses. Junior and Senior students have the opportunity to fulfill their third required science course with an elective. Although chemistry and physics are advised for a well-rounded science education, students are also able to choose courses in Anatomy & Physiology, Environmental Science, Human Biology, Biology and Field Ecology.
What sets WA apart:
- Successful competition teams in Ocean Bowl, Science Bowl, Envirothon, and Chemistry Olympiad.
- 5 Opportunities to earn college credit through UConn’s Early College Experience program in Biology, Chemistry, Environmental and Physics.
- Advanced Placement Biology, Chemistry, and Physics
- 2 State-of-the-Art chemistry laboratory's and 3 multi-purpose laboratories
- Practical research opportunities
- Earthsave, a club dedicated to preserving the local and global environment