“If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his own language, that goes to his heart.” ‒Nelson Mandela
¡Hola! Guten Tag! 您好! Bonjour! Ciao! The Woodstock Academy offers courses in six languages: Spanish, German, Mandarin, French, Italian, and Latin. Studying a second language allows students to engage an increasingly globalized society and gives them an appreciation and understanding of other cultures, current events awareness, lifetime skills, travel opportunities, and, of course, enjoyment. Students will grow to use their second language as a means of communication and self-expression. Additionally, students who study a second language have an advantage in college admissions and career placement opportunities. Proficiency in a second language is a valuable asset for any employee, especially for those in government, business, and the service sector.
The Woodstock Academy’s language programs cover all four components of language proficiency: speaking, listening, writing, and reading. Students at The Woodstock Academy are required to take one credit of a foreign language, but are highly encouraged to take a sequence of courses given the many benefits of knowing a second language in a multicultural world. The Woodstock Academy offers language courses at the Standard, College Preparatory, Honors, and Accelerated/Advanced Placement levels.
What sets WA apart:
- 6 Language programs
- 6 levels of Spanish; 5 levels of Mandarin, Latin, Italian, and German; 2 levels of French
- Spanish, French, Italian, Mandarin, German, and Latin Honor Societies
- Exchange programs, home stay, and travel opportunities
- Opportunities to earn college credit through UConn’s Early College Experience program in Italian, Spanish, and Latin
- Advanced Placement (AP) in Spanish, French, German, and Italian
- 2-Week exchange program with Mariama Ba School on Goree Island, Senegal
Click below to read about our available World Language Courses