“The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character – that is the goal of true education." Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Serves eligible students (grades 9-12) by providing special education and related services through an Individualized Education Plan. The program offers options in the least restrictive environment with case management to support both families and faculty in addition to related services, accommodations, and modifications to help students succeed and reach their potential.
School Based Counseling
A multi-disciplinary team who applies expertise in mental health, learning, and behavior to help all students succeed academically, socially, behaviorally, and emotionally. The team collaborates as part of a tiered intervention model in order to provide direct support and interventions to students; such as learning assessments, academic and behavioral interventions, counseling and other need-based support and teaching. By providing ongoing consultation with teachers, families, and other educators, support strategies are identified in order to develop student achievement, growth and resilience. In addition, the team works collaboratively with many community organizations in order to provide recommendations to students and families for outside support and treatment.
Confidentiality Statement: Unless the team has serious concerns about a student’s safety, information students or parents provide remains confidential within the limits of the law. The team may communicate with others (i.e. outside providers, teachers, coaches) if students and parents provide permission to do so.
What Sets WA Apart:
- 2017 recipient of Unified Champion Banner School by Special Olympics International.
- Pilot School for CT Governor’s Prevention Partnership launch of All Abilities Alliance.
- Partners with community resources to provide students with vocational and community based volunteer experiences.
- Partnership with Sandy Hook Promise to host annual awareness week events.
- Faculty invited to present at statewide conferences and workshops sponsored by Connecticut Council on Developmental Disabilities, CECA-CASL and Connecticut Music Education Association.
- Weekly Therapy Dog Sessions
Click below to read about our available courses