Updates from our Head of School on South Campus
The Woodstock Academy Completes Hyde Campus AcquisitionPosted by Julia Budd, Director of Communications at 6/15/2017
Dear Woodstock Academy Community,
Today is the day that I and The Woodstock Academy Administration have anticipated for many months. After months of preparation, The Woodstock Academy has finalized ownership of South Campus, formally Hyde School’s Woodstock campus.
We are thankful to both Hyde School and the Gauld family for the opportunity. Acquiring South Campus sets The Academy on a positive trajectory to continue its tradition of excellent education well into the future.
I would like to echo what Mrs. Christine Swenson, President of The Woodstock Academy Board of Trustees, said “We are truly grateful for the many alumni and donors who continue to believe in and support The Academy to make this possible. This historic step for The Academy enhances opportunities for students in academics, athletics, fine arts, and other programs.”
On the evening of June 21, with the many end-of-school activities over, we will open South Campus from 6 - 8 PM. Members of the community are welcome to come and visit the newly-acquired campus. Also on June 21 will be a Move-Up Night for incoming freshmen and their parents from 5:30 - 6 PM, as well as the Fall Athletic Information Night for fall athletes and parents from 6 - 6:30 PM.
During Homecoming Weekend, on Saturday, September 30, we will officially celebrate the acquisition with a South Campus Grand Opening Ceremony. We invited you to join us!
Christopher J. Sandford
Head of School
South Campus Transition UpdatePosted by Christopher Sandford, Head of School at 1/27/2017
Hello WA Families and Friends,
Three months have passed since we announced that The Academy will be purchasing the Hyde School’s Woodstock campus, and many people have been hard at work preparing for our exciting next steps. We wanted to provide a general update of how we’re working to integrate our new South Campus. To give you an idea here are several areas of focus:
- We have hired several members of the current Hyde School staff and administration in a variety of roles and will continue to hire additional staff and faculty. Collaboration between current and new staff, specifically in athletics, health, and residential life is already underway;
- We are building a robust residential life department and diversifying our admissions and recruitment efforts to provide a truly unique environment utilizing our new residential facilities. It is important to note that our sending town and day students will also be able to participate in residential activities;
- Several groups have toured the South Campus, and more tours are scheduled (public tour options will be offered sometime after we move in);
- A grand opening for the South Campus scheduled to coincide with our Homecoming Weekend is being planned for September 29-30, 2017.
- A new schedule to allow for campus transitions has been developed and we have arranged for transportation between the two campuses during the school day;
- Seventeen new classes have been developed for the 2017-18 school year;
- We are in the early stages of our plan to provide expanded fine arts programming for both the school and the larger community to enjoy;
- We are working on the plan to integrate our IT structures;
- We are developing an expanded campus safety and security plan to apply to both campuses.
We have a very busy and exciting next seven months as we continue to prepare and look to our future.
Thank you for your continued support.
Head of School
Looking to Our Future!Posted by Christopher Sandford, Head of School at 10/14/2016
Hello members of The Woodstock Academy community,
We have very important and exciting news about the future of The Academy. Guided by our mission, “to prepare all students for a lifetime of learning by providing academic rigor, a safe environment, and a diversity of educational experiences which will foster a sense of respect for self and others, and will encourage active investment in family, school, community, and the world”, and our motto, Look to the Future, we continuously explore opportunities to enhance our programs and support our students.
Today, it is my pleasure to announce that our Board of Trustees has agreed on terms to purchase the Hyde School’s Woodstock campus. This acquisition will enable us to achieve most of our long-term priorities, as outlined by both our faculty and staff, and the Board of Trustees in our Strategic Plan.
Our new campus has a number of highlights, including: a gymnasium with a basketball court, locker rooms, wrestling room, and fitness center; a 1,000-seat auditorium; three dormitories; a dining hall; a turf field that allows for night games; an eight-lane track; residential houses; classrooms; and offices. We plan to relocate several departments that will be best suited for the space on the new campus. We’ll also be renovating some of our existing facilities to create our new STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics) Center. Our existing campus is only 2.2 miles away from the current Hyde School campus, and we will provide transportation between the two campuses.
One of the most exciting aspects for the local community is the space we have needed to form additional partnerships. Current ideas include summer activities and camps, senior citizen programming, and fine arts performances. Our continuing efforts to strengthen our partnerships with our sending towns will now be enhanced by an incredible range of facilities for our students. The additional dormitories will enable further diversification of our boarding program.
We anticipate retaining many of the current Hyde School employees, and look forward to the opportunity to employ a greater number of people from our community. In the coming weeks and months, we will be sharing more information about our plan for integrating our new campus while maintaining the student culture that makes The Academy such a unique and well-loved place.
We would like to thank our larger Woodstock Academy community and The Board of Trustees for their continued support of our students and programs. We look forward to a bright future here at The Woodstock Academy.
Head of School