Weekly Update 12/09/22
Weekly Announcements: December 5-9
Did you know that 30% of all households in the towns we serve are struggling to put food on the table for their families, even when working a full-time job? If you are able, please participate in our food drive to help families in need.
Accepted items include non-perishable foods in jars, cans, and sealed packages. Suggested food items are sauces, soups, canned beans, canned vegetables, honey, peanut butter, boxed juices, instant mashed potatoes, etc. All food items received will be donated to The Woodstock Academy Food Pantry and to the Community Market at TEEG.
Donations can be dropped off during school hours (7:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.) any time until Wednesday, December 14, at the Main Office on North Campus or at the Annhurst Hall Front desk (Mrs. Racine’s desk) on South Campus. Thank you for your support!
Senior Video Contest
Each year, Woodstock Academy seniors have the opportunity to create a video summarizing their WA experience to be entered into the graduation video contest. There will be two $500 prizes awarded. One will be awarded for “Best Script,” and the other will be awarded for “Best Technical Execution.” One single video may win both awards. The winning video(s) will be showcased at the end of the school year. Group submissions are also accepted.
The class of 2023 is the only current WA class that has completed one full year of school in person. Tell us about how you made it through, and what support WA had to offer you. Tell us how you supported WA. Tell us your plans after graduation and how you plan to succeed in your future endeavors. This could be college, military, entering the work force, or certificate programs.
The requirements for the Graduation Video Contest are as follows:
- Each student may only submit one video, but students may assist with multiple videos.
- It must be no more than five (5) minutes in length.
- All submissions are due to Mr. Eric Collelo no later than 3 p.m. on Friday, May 19, 2023.
- No late submissions will be eligible for a prize, with no exceptions. Plan accordingly.
- Submissions must be posted to a student OneDrive account and shared with: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All submissions must include 100% original material. Official Woodstock Academy logos and stock material are encouraged and acceptable. See Mr. Collelo for royalty-free music options.
- Your video must portray your personal and academic experience at The Woodstock Academy. You might consider including any school personnel (teachers, guidance counselors, staff members, administrators, etc.) who were important to your success and/or positive experience at The Woodstock Academy. It should also acknowledge your future plans.
Advisors can be reached by email or in person:
Mr. Eric Collelo, email@example.com - technical assistance
Mrs. Samantha Romero, firstname.lastname@example.org - script assistance
All submissions will be considered the official property of The Woodstock Academy and may be altered for marketing and presentation purposes.
The following individuals will be members of the video selection committee:
- An individual in the local media industry, i.e. a local journalist, radio personality, etc.
- A member of The Woodstock Academy’s Board of Trustees
- A member of The Woodstock Academy’s faculty or staff
- A member of The Woodstock Academy’s Communications Department
- A member of The Woodstock Academy Administrative Team
Seniors are eligible to participate in the contest even if they have not attended The Woodstock Academy for four years, but they must be eligible to receive a diploma in order for their video to be considered. If for some reason you are eligible to receive a diploma but ineligible to participate in any or all graduation activities due to specific disciplinary action(s), your video will not be considered and/or the runner-up will replace your video.
Happy filming! We look forward to seeing your creations!
Community Health Update
Please read the letter below from The Woodstock Academy health office:
Dear Woodstock Academy Community,
We would like to share a health update with the greater community following our call with the Department of Public Health on Tuesday, 12/6/22. As you are already probably aware, there are many illnesses on the rise which include influenza, RSV, and COVID-19. We have seen similar illnesses/viruses circulating at school as well. DPH shared surveillance data that we would like to summarize and share according to their weekly rates.
RSV: This has been an atypical year as cases were seen earlier and are higher in numbers, but case numbers are starting to plateau
Influenza: There are currently very high levels of influenza cases in CT (17,087 cases to date with about 5,747 per week). Flu cases are higher this year in comparison to recent years.
COVID-19: Most of the state is seeing moderate levels of COVID-19 infection with New London county having low levels. COVID-19 cases have been increasing post-Thanksgiving.
As we approach the holiday season, we want to ensure that our entire school community remains healthy. We are asking everyone to please follow these simple mitigation strategies:
- Please stay home if you are sick and have a fever of 100.4 or greater.
- If you have mild respiratory symptoms, a negative COVID-19 test should be performed every day that you have symptoms, as well as one final test on the morning your symptoms have completely resolved before returning to school.
- Anyone with mild respiratory symptoms should wear a mask.
- Continue with good hand hygiene and cleaning high-touch surfaces.
- Cover your mouth appropriately while coughing and sneezing.
The Woodstock Academy health office will be providing free COVID-19 test kits to all students and school employees that are interested now through December 20. Please stop by the North or South Campus health offices between 7:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. for pick-up of test kits. We would encourage everyone to test prior to gathering with loved ones for the holidays and prior to returning to school from winter vacation. We all have a responsibility in keeping each other healthy. Wishing you all a wonderful holiday season and good health!
Director of Health Services